Monday, June 28, 2010

Error in First Printing - Acknowledgements

The production of a book like Hiking Trails of Ottawa is a complex procedure. There are literally thousands of facts that need to be confirmed and checked. Information in the route description needs to agree with what is on the map, Websites in the Bibliography must be the same as those listed with each trail, each map must have all correct references, and on and on.

In an effort to as accurate as possible, before printing the author sees the work at least three times, many of the route descriptions were reviewed by the trail management authority, an editor reviews the initial manuscipt, a separate individual reviews the revised manuscript, and several other pairs of eyes scan various sections. The process, between submission of the manuscript and printing, requires several months.

Even so errors are possible - indeed, almost inevitable - in a volume this complex. Usually they are found with seeming ridiculous ease by purchasers of the book almost as soon as the book goes on sale. In most cases, the errors are relatively minor, and are quietly corrected when the book is reprinted.

Sometimes, however, something occurs that demands special attention. In the case of Hiking Trails of Ottawa, this has been the accidental printing of an earlier version of the Acknowledgements. While this has little to do with the accuracy of the information throughout the book, the Acknowledgements are the author's (my) opportunity to express gratitude to those who helped me produce the book. When I wrote the first version of the Acknowledgements, late in 2009, it was before the National Capital Commission had decided to assist with the preparation of the maps for the 22 routes on their properties, before they had agreed to host the launch at the InfoCentre on Wellington Street, and before I had had the opportunity to work more closely with many of their staff, who reviewed my writing looking for errors and participated in other ways. Without the National Capital Commission's assistance, Hiking Trails of Ottawa would have been a different book.

So, although the correct Acknowledgements will appear in the next printing of Hiking Trails of Ottawa, I would like to present it here as well. Once again, I wish to extend my thanks to all of those who assisted me when I worked on this book. The full list of names would exceed 100, and I apologize for not mentioning you all.

******

There are so many people who provided me with information and feedback that would be impossible to name them all without missing a good number. For example, representatives from each one of the provincial parks and municipal trails reviewed my draft text for errors or omissions, as did volunteers from the Macnamara Nature Trail, Glengarry Trails, Rideau Trail, and several other groups. Regrettably, I do not have a complete list of names of those who participated in this exercise, but through them I received many constructive comments and excellent suggestions that improved this book. Thank you for helping me make Hiking Trails of Ottawa far better than I could on my own.

Some individuals, of course, require special mention. Ron Hunt, President of the Rideau Trails Association, hiked with me (never easy), discussed the text over numerous coffee meetings, and offered encouragement every step of the way. Gershon Rather, a trail coordinator, now retired, for the Greenbelt, provided me with considerable information on less-known trails in the region. Rob Clipperton, long-time host on CBC Radio’s In Town and Out, let me speak about the region’s trails on his program for five years, until budget cuts ended my regular segments. Elina Farmanova, a special friend, refused to permit me to give up the project, although I several times came close.

The National Capital Commission (NCC), and its excellent staff, deserves to be singled out for special mention. Not only did individuals from the Greenbelt, Capital Pathways, and Gatineau Park divisions participate in reviewing my text, but staff prepared maps for all the routes located on NCC properties, and they offered to host the launch at the Capital Infocentre on Wellington Street opposite Parliament Hill. Some of these people I can name: Heather Newson, Martine Lavergne, François Leduc, Jean Charbonneau, François Cyr, Claude Vincent, Brian Gravelle. Many others whose names I do not know were doubtless involved; you have my thanks.

Finally, I would be unforgivably remiss if I did not acknowledge the debt I owe to the publisher, Goose Lane. Susanne, Akou, and Julie have been tremendously supportive, undeservedly flexible, and infinitely patient, as I muddled my way towards completion. Their trust and encouragement deserves my unreserved thanks. Thanks also to Charles Stuart, the editor, for his assistance in making my initial draft into something publishable.

No comments: