Monday, July 26, 2010

Recommendation: Ottawa River Pathway East

I am regularly asked to name my favourite trail. My response varies, but I never limit my answer to a single path. This is probably unsatisfying to the questioner, yet it honestly reflects my opinion. I value the experience on too many trails to pick just one.

There are, however, some places that I enjoy more than others, and one of these is the Ottawa River Pathway east of Rockcliffe Park. Some might be surprised by this choice - especially those who know of my penchant for rugged hill climbs. Yet this path is one that I find myself regularly returning to, and one where I always seem to enjoy the experience.

I find this to be just such a pleasant walk. The Pathway traces the Ottawa River from Rockcliffe to Orleans, situated on a raised bank slightly above water level. (City maintained paths extend the trail to Petrie Island.) Amazingly, considering that Ottawa-Gatineau is the 4th - or 5th now - largest urban area in Canada, there are almost no human structures visible from the trail. No other city in North America can boast of such a long stretch of protected public space on a major river. This is a treasure, and few residents, I think, understand how lucky they are to have it.

The Ottawa River Pathway not a rugged footpath. Rather it is road-wide and surfaced in crushed stone, making it ideal for cyclists, who often ride this route. Walkers need to ensure that they stay on the right side of the trail, and that they do not spread out and block the trail. When strolling with children, be particularly cautious, because cyclists are often moving rather quickly and the unpredictable movements of children can create a potentially serious situation.

This trail is monitored by the Ottawa Pathway Patrol, and the National Capital Commission has cell phones available for loan at the Aviation Museum, which is a good place to start your walk, especially if you choose to access the trail by transit.

There is so much about this path that I enjoy that this could become a very long post. So I will limit myself to two items that make this worthy of recommendation. First, it features the very best scenic view of the Ottawa River available from a trail, a west-facing lookout at the mouth of Green Creek, less than one kilometer from Orleans. At sunset, it is often simply stunningly beautiful. But expect the bench to be full already; many appreciate this spot.

The second is that the Ottawa River Pathway is an enjoyable walk at any time of year. Although many people think of summer, with its heat, humidity, and insects, as the time of year to walk, I prefer fall and winter. And on this path, winter can be a delight. The trail is not groomed for skiers, but they come in large numbers anyway, where they share the path with snowshoers and walkers.

So the Ottawa River Pathway receives my highest recommendation, and although I might not call it my "favourite", it certainly is a trail that I always enjoy. I hope you do as well.

No comments: